Glenn Five (G5) – the Anvil bassist who joined the band in 1996 and appeared on seven of the band’s albums along with being featured in the documentary Anvil! The Story of Anvil! – has quit the band, citing creative differences. This is what Glenn had to say about the breakup according to the Hollywood Reporter: “Playing in ANVIL has given me some of the best years of my life. However, after nearly 16 years with the band, the time has come to move on and try new musical endeavors. Although ANVIL has been a great band to play in, I have been limited creatively. I have a wide taste in music and I feel that it’s time to broaden my horizons.” On the other hand, Anvil frontman lips told Metal Shock Finland that “everything was sorted out within a few hours of Glenn departing. Glenn tried to make it difficult by leaving without proper notice but we’ve been preparing for this for quite sometime. This did end up for the better as it is a huge improvement with our new guy both musically as well as personally.”
Anvil will continue on with Sal Italiano, a member of New York Iron Maiden tribute band Live After Death and prog metal band The Nightmare Stage. He is also a former member of 80s heavy metal group Cities. Sal is pictured on this article at left. on the right is former bassist Glenn Five.
- Anvil Bassist Glenn Five Quits Band (noisecreep.com)
- Bassist Glenn Five Quits ANVIL (bravewords.com)
- Anvil Announce US Tour Dates (noisecreep.com)
- ANVIL’s Steve ‘Lips’ Kudlow On Departure Of Bassist Glenn Five – “It Is A Huge Improvement With Our New Guy, Both Musically And Personally” (bravewords.com)
- Heavy Metal Hanukkah with Anvil (thecontrapuntist.com)
- ANVIL’s ‘Juggernaut’ Takes Top Honors In ‘Metal On Metal’ Listener Poll (roadrunnerrecords.com)